It's called "Skynd deg å elske" - in English I bet it would be called "Love me now" or something like that. The book is about one of Norway's earlier Minister of Fisheries and Coastal Affairs called Jan Henry T. Olsen who got Alzheimer when he was only 51.
In the book his wife Laila Lanes talks about life with a sick husband. How the illness is affecting both of them.
She says "I don't know if we would have loved one another the way we do if it weren't for Jan Henry's illness".
Laila says that when you love someone who is sick and you know the time you have together is limited you love each other even more in a way. You treat each other better, do nice things for each other and tell the other person you love him/her more often. Kinda live each day as if it was your last. She says that she's hoping their relationship would have been the same way even if he wasn't sick.
I think when you have a sick spouse or even friend or family member you really learn a lot about yourself. How to be less selfish, put your own needs second, to really appreciate the good times and memories and try harder to make all memories good ones. In this book Laila is really concerned about making her husband feel good and be happy. Again she says: "Even though in time he'll forget everything we've done together, the good times created good feelings and I'd like to think that the good feelings will always be there even when he can't remember anymore."
(I'm really impressed by how good she is at putting words to her feelings).
What I'm trying to say is we should all think like this even though the people around us aren't dying, you know?
I'm bad at that. When I have a bad day I let everyone and their Grandma's know about it. I get too caught up in small details that really don't matter and sometimes treat people I care about bad just because I don't feel like being nice.
And what's really scary is how it's so much easier to treat the people you love bad - rather than a stranger (not that that's ok either).
Wow, I sound like an awful person (Please don't hate me!).
If you know Norwegian you should read this book:
And if you don't,
just treat everyone nice.
I'm trying

No comments:
Post a Comment