Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Names

Sometimes when Jake is working I kinda just sit here and think about what and whatnot.

The last couple of days I've been thinking about names.
I'm very fascinated by the fact that Americans can call boys girl-names and girls boy-names.
 Like Chris. Chris can be a boy or Chris can be a girl.

Crazy story:
Jake has a cousin; Tyler.
Tyler is married to Taylor.
Tyler is a boy and Taylor is a girl.
The names a pronounced slightly different 
Almost impossible to hear, 
for the foreign ear.
Jake also has another friend Taylor.
But this Taylor is a boy.
Confusing, say you?
Try living in it.

I was looking at THIS webpage to do some name research and I found some amusing info.
Turns out in Norway we also have some bisexual names. Who woulda thunk?
The only name I knew of was Janne (which is a girlname in Norway and boyname in Finland)
I found a lot of names, but I'll only mention the funniest examples:

Audun, Andrea, Dan, Freddy, Gerd, Gøran, Hanna, Helle, Inge, Ivan, Jan, Johnny, Kai, Kari, Kristen, Karen, Marian, Ola, Rudi, Tore, Vanja.
...are ALL names that BOTH boys and girls are called in Norway today. Crazy!


I have for a long time suspected that Gudrun was a old-lady name. I've almost never met anyone my age called Gudrun. This name-popularity graph is proof that I was right:
I would have been really cool in 1917.

Kristine is a little bit more stabile:



I have decided to start calling the Semons family by the Norwegian names from now on.
It's somewhat easy to find a translation since they have biblical names.

Jacob = Jacob
Nathan = Natan
Matthew = Matteus
Michael = Mikal
Benjamin = Benjamin
Janet = Janet
Mark = Well, Mark doesn't have a Norwegian name, cause in Norwegian Mark means worm.
So maybe I should just call him Reidar?






2 comments:

  1. this post made me laugh.
    i love thinking of names. it annoys spencer. because i'm a little bit obsessed.
    i like calling you gudrun rather than kristine.

    i'm going to repaint some stuff next week? want to come? it'll be in my grandpa's wood shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to come help! Just let me know when and where and I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete