Monday, August 23, 2010

Hulderrittet

On Saturday my friend Tonje and I did a bike race in Jæren (near Stavanger) called Hulderrittet. It was an all girls bike race. There is an explanation for the name Hulderrittet.

Hulder = Famale superstitious beeing
Rittet = The race

The hulder was some kind of a troll. She looked like a normal girl (a very pretty one), BUT she had a tail and sometimes lynx ears. They always tried to hide their tails so men would be tricked into following them into the woods thinking they were just normal super hot chicks. 
Do you think the men ever came back?
Oh no.


We have a lot of stories of huldrer here in Røldal and we even know where they have their entrance that leads into their underground world. It's about 15 minutes from our house, and it's a big rock with a rock door on the back. Jake almost got tricked down there once. The blueberries that grows around that rock are huge. Of course. (I bet the huldrer sing to them to make them grow or something). 
And Jake was like: 
"Oo, look at these berries, I'm gonna sit here and eat"
Nope, we left in a hurry before the huldrer came and took him.

Jake: You got any more of them there blueberries?
Hulder: Ja.

Nowadays nobody really believes in huldrer, but in the old days people feared them.
Hulder; Norwegian Femme Fatale.

Good name for a bike race.

Here is one of the almost 400 huldrer in the race:
Tonje


The race was only 20 km (12,4 miles) and it was a very nice route. I finished in about 50 minutes. Next year I want to do the longer race that's 38 km (30 miles).
When we finished we all got saft (Norwegian version of Crystal Light), bananas, pastry and a prize.

It was a good weekend, the only BIG bummer was that Jake left.
Buhu, I sure do miss him.






1 comment:

  1. i love how you explain norwegian traditions and stories! now i need some norwegian recipes!

    ReplyDelete