Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Twin Falls Fair

Last week was the Twin Falls fair in Filer. I went out on Tuesday with a girl from my class to examine animals coming in together with a vet. It was really fun! They have many cool breeds, and it's fun to see something else than Norwegian Red Cattle for once.
First we examined all the rabbits that came in, I think it was closer to 140 rabbits! We checked them for different diseases and mites. At a setting like the fair you'd want all healthy animals because it spreads pretty fast when they all are around each other for days.
After the rabbits we checked the cows and horses. It was more like walking around and looking if we saw anything suspicious. Besides from a few things here and there, I must say it was pretty good!

Jake's friend, Andreas, from Bergen, came to visit us too last week. He had been taking some kind of a course through work in California, and drove all the way up here to see us. It was a lot of fun having a visitor from Norway again! So on Wednesday, the three of us went back to the fair for a real American experience.

Here they were showing the steers (young bulls)

Some Texas Longhorns!







Andreas' new friends. These draft horses are owned by a professor at CSI.

Love at first sight!

Tired little alpaca

Another cute alpaca

Pretty Paint with a "glass eye"

This is a breed of rabbit called "Lionhead". So cute!

Poor turkeys, they were clearly not first in line the day God handed out good looks.

The peacocks on the other hand are really pretty



This sheep was getting its hairdo ready for the show

This was my favorite of the day. A leopard appaloosa with dark skin and white hair. I guess it's a rare gene, but the dark skin lies "underneath" so they get this see-through effect. Pretty cool!

Andreas found some friends to play poker with, but I think they had passed out from all the whiskey.

This is a "Mini Horse" foal. They call them mini's over here, but I don't know if they are Falabellas, or if they are another breed. 

Mini horse with a not-so-mini belly.

Jake and Andreas made some new friends. Real Idaho cowboys!


No comments:

Post a Comment