Yesterday I finished up my finals, and I feel that it went a little better than expected. Hooray!
I've really worked hard this semester, and I hope it pays off.
Jake thinks I spend way to much time studying, but I can't help it. I just really want to do as good as I am capable of. It would kill me knowing I got a bad grade when I didn't give it all I've got. I don't really care if I don't get an A as long as I know I did my best.
Yesterday we had Hawng Lum, Hawng Dwi and their friend Purna over for a little Christmas party.
They are so sweet, they even bought us Christmas presents. We both got a hat and a scarf.
I didn't expect presents from them at all. I know they don't have very much, so it really moved me.
We gave them a framed picture of all of us and a kitchen aid tool. Kinda boring maybe?
I also framed a picture for Purna. His mom had made some snacks that he brought over that was awesome!
We ate homemade pizza by Jake, and afterwards they sang Christmas songs. Hawng Dwi brought his keyboard and Jake played guitar. I'm not a very good singer, so I did the dishes. Hehe.
This might sound kind of weird, but when they sing songs about love and hope and all that, it seems like it really means something to them. I feel like for us it's "only" Christmas songs (kind of chlishè for the most part), but for them it really has meaning. Gives me a reminder that the good life we live is a gift and it is not something most people take for granted.
They also wrote us a Christmas card and it said:
Hi Jake and Kristine
We are so blessed by both of you.
You are our first friends here in the US.
Thank you so much for helping us.
We can't pay anything back, but God will bless both of you.
Thanks,
Hawng Lum and Hawng Dwi.
Jake made a good point before they got here yesterday. He said:"Isn't it crazy that we are "volunteers" for hanging out with the Burmese brothers? We are volunteering to be their friends, when in fact they are some of the coolest people in Twin Falls."
That's how I feel. We aren't volunteers. We are just normal friends.
Today we are heading out for Pocatello.
I have been packing and cleaning all day (julavasken, veit de), while Jake has been snowboarding in Sun Valley.
I'm just excited school is over for now, and that I am going home for Christmas!
I can't wait to see everyone again!
BYE BYE TWIN FALLS!
I love this post.
ReplyDeleteYou and Jake are such good people. Love to you!
And Merry Christmas!!