This has been a very hard weekend.
I'm not complaining though. You can't even compare the sadness I feel and the sadness so many people directly affected by the terror feel.
Friday was a horrible day. Not only did terror strike, but my Mom's cousin, Anne-Lise, died of breast cancer. She had been fighting it for many, many years. I remember her as kind, positive and always smiling. One time in the winter I wanted to go from Åmdals Verk to Røldal to visit my aunt and uncle. My mom suggested waiting a few days cause the weather over the mountain was so bad. Anne-Lise, Arne and Vidar was going home to Suldal that night and said I could go with them. I remember even though we sat and waited for the escorted convoys for hours in the tunnels, we laughed and talked - while the dog was puking cause he was car sick.
Yesterday my mom texted me and told me a 9th grader that goes to her school is still missing from the shootings at Utøya. It's crazy how the terror has affected the whole country. Even our little community in Tokke. What happened to him? Did he try to swim from the island like so many others? Did he get shot trying to escape? Did he drown in the cold water? Everyone is hoping he'll show up, but there's not much hope left.
Today the whole country had 1 minute of silence at noon.
People stopped working, stores closed, internet was down, radio and TV was silent.
Jake and I were on our way to the hospital. We pulled the car over and sat there in silence.
Even Sweden, Danmark, Finlad and Iceland did 1 minute of silence. Isn't that just wonderful?
I have to say I am SO impressed by the attitude our government and the people of Norway are showing.
Nobody is talking about revenge or fighting back with violence.
We are fighting back with love and solidarity. The opposite of what the terrorist wanted.
As we speak there is people gathering all over the country. They are all going to go in parades with roses and torches. I wish I was somewhere where I could join in too.
Unfortunately I'm sitting here having to do math. My exam is on Thursday and now I'm way behind.
Math has just felt so unimportant this weekend. It feels like the last thing that matters now is math.
Pictures from Dagbladet of the rose parade in Oslo right now. 100 000 people showed up. So many people that there is no way they can march in a parade.
A girl giving flowers to our prime minister today. She thought he deserved to know that everyone was thinking about him, and how hard this is for him too. He has done such a good job. We are so lucky to have him as our leader.



No comments:
Post a Comment